Happy Birthday, Jantzen!
I must say BelleMa, it's great to see you delving into the magical world of statistics... I can vouch for your claim regarding birthdays and the probability of several of them having the same birthday. Here's the equation for this particular problem:The Probability that NO two people in a group have the same birthday is as follows: 365!/[(365-n)!365^n]Where n= the number of people in the sample group.For this example, when using n=23, our final answer is 0.4927, or as a percentage, 49.27%. This answer tells us that there is a 49.27% probability in a group of 23 people, that NO two people share a birthday. Therefore we can subtract our answer from 1 to get the answer we're looking for...1-0.4927=0.5073This tells us as you stated in your post, that in a group of 23 people, there is a 50.73% probability that at least two people share a birthday. Considering that both Megs and I share the same birthday, using this same equation to determine the probability of any two people sharing the same birthday, we had a (1-0.9973=0.0027) or 0.27% probability of sharing a birthday. Oh the magic of statistics.
I usually defer to Dilbert's method of statistical analysis...much easier to compute.
Post a Comment