Monday, April 25, 2011

a recycled heirloom

Years ago when I was a little girl, my great-grandmother Ada Clifford made me several hope chest items consisting of old fashioned crocheted potholders, embroidered dish towels and pillow cases. I had absolutely no appreciation for them then and somehow the only thing that survived from the collection was a set of embroidered pillow cases. I never ever used them but sadly one of them became stained, who knows how. I could never bring myself to throw it away, the years have made me much more sentimental.
Anyway, I got this great idea to recycle the pillow case and incorporate it into a new homemade something.
So I did. I made it into a little fabric playhouse. See the little embroidered flowers by the door and the window sill? I put some little bunnies to live inside and gave it to Cate for Easter.

I appreciate all the work my great-grandma went to and feel badly I didn't value her handiwork more. And as I make little things for my grandgirlies I think about them and love them with every imperfect stitch, just like I know my Grandma did in making those things for me. I get that now.

No comments: