Thursday, May 13, 2010

You did what you knew how to do, and when you knew better, you did better. --Maya Angelou

The organist in our new ward doesn't play the pedals at all. I miss the added richness and depth. She also plays the organ like a piano, no organ technique at all. You can hear it when she plays. I am not dissing her. Her willingness to step up and serve is nothing but admirable. It's just that our last student ward spoiled us, the kids were unbelievably musical and well trained.

After hearing our new organist struggle I thought I would pass along to her the following links. Still working on how to subtly do that.
http://www.organ.byu.edu/newldsorganist/
and
http://news.byu.edu/archive10-feb-organtutorial.aspx
No excuse now.

There is never any shame in not knowing something once. We've all been there. But to remain in ignorance, when shown a better way, what a sad waste.

On second thought, I don't think I'll be saying anything to this young sister at all. My own mediocre and inadequate performances in so many areas shock me back to reality. Where do I get off, eh?

If she asks, then I'll gladly share.

Oh. Have a listen to what is dubbed the world's best organist. Listen clear to the end. This just cracks me up.

No comments: