Monday, April 19, 2010

because i knew you..i have been changed for good

Sad doings yesterday. The school year is over. Testimony meeting had Bishop ld tearfully sharing: We don’t cry because it’s over, but smile because it happened. He even quoted Tennyson’s (okay at my urging) I am a part of all I have ever met.

Then a student read the lyrics to the hymn Each Life that Touches Ours for Good in their testimony. And so it went. We love these kids. They are wonderfully endearing.

Things got a tad bit weird though, when a girl in her testimony quoted lyrics of a song from the Broadway musical Wicked (For Good). Would have been okay except she sorta forgot the words and so a MDT (Musical/Dance/Theater) major sitting in the congregation helped her out by blurting out the words. Out loud. In Sacrament meeting.

Only at BYU.

More sweet testimonies followed. Later that night at our final ward prayer we watched a slideshow of our time together. The Relief Society had prepared little momentos for each member of the Bishopric. Leave it to the RS gals to always be so thoughtful.

Sniffling on the ride home ld and I talked about this past school year. We have loved serving together and have grown so much. We also are cognizant of our good fortune as we have been pretty spoiled with a freshman ward. They are so enthusiastic and impressionable. But we sent them off with love and hugs and now it begins all over again. Sunday we begin with a whole new crop of students from a new and affluent apartment complex. They are not freshman but rich upperclassman. I told ld to consider it like a missionary transfer. Whole ‘nother set of dynamics. But there will be some within his influence, I am sure.

Did I mention that my husband is one terrific Bishop?

I've heard it said
That people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are led
To those who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you...

But because I knew you
I have been changed for good

It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend...

Because I knew you..
I have been changed for good.

(lyrics "For Good" from the musical Wicked) he he he

No comments: