Sunday, February 14, 2010

Love is my religion - I could die for that. --John Keats



My valentine and I got a jump start on the day and exchanged chocolate and flowers last night. Good thing, that. Ld also gave me Bright Star, the tragic love story of the poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne. Viewed it late last night. Go watch it, let's discuss.

Today is our Sunday churchin’ routine of meetings, meetings, and more meetings. Not romantic but there is a love tie-in after all.
And finally, a quote that fits the day:

The Prime Directive has been delivered to us pointedly by the Savior no fewer than three times in John's Gospel alone:

1) ‘A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I do you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye one to another’ (John 13:34-35).
2) ‘This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I do you. Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends’ (John 15:12-13).
3) ‘These things I command you, that ye love one another’ (John 15:17).

“…This is not emotional fluff. This is not pie in the sky, wishful thinking, or idealistic gas. Love is not some subsidiary principle that allows the weepy among us to go off on a crying jag. It's not just something thrown in for the benefit of the sisters or for the super-sensitive "artsy" types. It is not an option that may be ignored by those who would prefer not to clutter their lives with other peoples' problems. There is a grand key here, probably the grandest of them all. It is this: the heart and soul of the gospel is love, and all the rest is commentary. Whatever else we may perceive religion to be, we are wrong—for true religion is love in action—God's love for us and our love for God and for our neighbors.”
(Stephen R. Robinson, Following Christ, p. 137 – 138)

2 comments:

lacy lee said...

Dave gave me the same gift! I loved this film!! Loved Fanny's dresses, loved John Keats, loved Mr. Brown. Loved the siblings, the cinematography. Everything. Nothing I didn't love.

Happy Valentines!

Kodison said...

I didn't get it. What was up with all the sewing and stuff again?...