Wednesday, February 6, 2008

the way we judge the value of a goal is what we become in the process


The year before I turned 13, I wanted a sewing machine badly. I wanted one because my new sister-in-law Cathy had one and I was fascinated by her sewing feats. She routinely churned out homemade gifts, beautiful clothing and even made her own wedding dress. She was/is an incredibly skilled seamstress.

I was sure that I could learn to sew as well and had over the top fantasies of turning out crafts and hip clothing. Only I didn’t have a machine, so I did what I usually did when I had a need, I went to my Dad. He sat me down and told me that he would buy me a sewing machine if I would practice the piano for 1 full hour a day. Everyday. That was the deal and we shook on it.

That was in the fall and for the next 10 months I did that. I practiced and practiced and practiced some more. I endured my brothers’ comments, “Can’t you play anything else” or “Do you know anything else besides loud?” and to my surprise, (and I’m sure everyone else’s too) by the time summer rolled around I had improved. A lot. Even more importantly I discovered I loved playing. Really loved it. The practicing wasn’t so bad, after all and for my 13th birthday my Dad, true to his word, bought me a slightly used White sewing machine that did zigzag and sewed buttonholes. I was thrilled beyond anything and I loved my Dad for keeping his word.

I never mastered sewing. Not really. I could never make my attempts look like anything my sister-in-law ever created. But(!) the year I turned 14, I received a call from my Bishop (Kathleen’s dad, btw) to serve as the Ward Organist. I played the organ until I left for BYU. Then I played in student wards, and as ward organist for many, many years. It’s so funny now to think about how all my years of piano playing came about because of a sewing machine. As so often happens in life, I discovered a valuable skill while in the pursuit of something else. Life is funny that way.

I was thinking about this last night as I sat at my kitchen table sewing on my new sewing machine (given to me by ld) and whipping out baby burp cloths for Cate. My skills still aren’t great but what a happy little seamstress. Think of the puppets and dress up clothes. Oh, the possibilities.

3 comments:

Mackenzie Sue said...

I saw those burp cloths and they were amazing. Better than anything we could have gotten from the store.

Lindsay said...

I for one am truly grateful for the talent of piano that you have "payed forward" I need to be grateful to the sewing machine as well. Without which my 5 year old piano recital would never have happened. 3 cheers for the beautiful twists and turns of life.

Anonymous said...

Who is Cate and what is a sewing machine and since when did you play the piano and I was promised a Opal if I learned the piano. Didn't you also get a horse? Let's see, a car, horse, sewing machine, accordian....Howard's favorite.