Tuesday, December 22, 2009

driving home for Christmas with a thousand memories


Yesterday afternoon.

Kenz: So what are you bringing to the extended family Christmas Eve?

Me: Dunno. Penee said it’s just munchies so I’ll probably bring taquitos.

Kenz: What did you used to have growing up Christmas Eve?

Me: Cream cheese sandwiches.

Kenz: What? How do you fix those?

Me: My mom would tint cream cheese pink and green. Cut the crusts off the bread and then spread a layer of pink cream cheese and top it with bread and do the same with the green. Then she would cut them up in itty bitty rectangles.

Kenz: Oh. Did you like them?

Me: No. No one did. But they were really pretty. I think my Dad ate them. That and the red punch served in her punch bowl made Christmas really, um, uptown festive.

Me: Christmas Eve. That was the big party. Originated with my mother’s family. They opened up gifts then and then Santa came the next morning. Santa gifts were never wrapped.

Hard as I try I cannot stop thinking about the Christmases I knew as a child. What is up with that? Like all things lately, I’m sure it’s an over 50 thing.

But! I found a new song this morning to love. It’s peppy. It’s profound. You should sing along.

Get your feet back on holy ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THcbQyFtCqg

2 comments:

lacy lee said...

Hey! I'm driving home for Christmas today!

busbyfam.blogspot.com said...

Yea, Christmas eve is for opening presents and Santa comes in the morning.Growing up I thought that was what everyone did. I'm wondering how many of my children will carry on the tradition. Luckily, I married your brother so we can carry on the tradition we both had. I'll have to call you and talk about how to get the Christmas feeling.