Thursday, January 5, 2012

i'm not just sagging and bagging. I'm also stooping and drooping. Sigh.

My eye doctor has been talking to me seriously about having Lasix surgery done to my eyes. For the past couple of years he has reminded me of the benefits, particularly since my near vision has become less and less. Since my distance vision is horrible, it would be nice to be able to see at some level. So this is the year ld and I decided to just do it. Only one problem. As I have aged my right eye has begun to droop. Official term: ptosis. It's caused by long term contact lens usage and by genetics. It's bugged me that I look so goofy but what can you do? As dad used to say, "I'm degenerating right on schedule."

Grandma Busby, my great-grandmother, had this. And in the same right eye, too. See? You can tell.
When I was a very little girl, her droopy eye frightened me and I never wanted to be around her. I feel bad now, because my mother would always scold me and want me to kiss and hug her. I would but I ran away as fast as I could. When you are small aging adults and their old bodies are not really understood.

Anyway, my eye doctor said before the Lasix can be done I have to fix my droopy eye. Today I met with an eye surgeon who confirmed there is a definite medical reason to repair my eye as the ptosis has affected my peripheral vision.

As much as I hate the idea of doing any nipping and tucking, I am happy at the prospects of not scaring off my grandchildren. Being able to see will be nice, too.

No comments: